Tharwa south of Canberra, the capital city of Australia.
Tharwa, Saint Edmund's Anglican Church, a cemetery, a community hall and tennis courts.The annual Tharwa Fair was hosted by the school, and was held in May until 2006. The Tharwa Fair is now organised by Tharwa Preschool.
Tharwa is the oldest official settlement in the Australian Capital Territory, proclaimed a settlement in 1862.Tharwa was named after the Aboriginal word for Mount Tennent, a nearby mountain peak which is part of Namadgi National Park.Mount Tennent was named after John Tennant, who was one of the earliest and best-known bushrangers in the region. Tennant lived in a hideout on the mountain behind Tharwa from which he raided local homesteads 1827–1828, before being arrested and transported to Norfolk Island.
Tharwa Bridge, opened on 27 March 1895, crosses the Murrumbidgee River.Tharwa Primary School was opened soon after, in 1899.The Tharwa township narrowly avoided being burnt in the 2003 Canberra bushfires.More recently, the Tharwa community had two further challenges: closures and repairs to Tharwa Bridge due to extensive rot in its supporting timbers discovered in 2005, and the 2006–07 Australian Capital Territory budget announcement of its plans to close the Tharwa preschool and primary school. The primary school was closed in December 2006, but the preschool remains.
The bridge was closed in September 2006 because of safety concerns, traffic then had to detour via Point Hut Crossing. The bridge reopened for light traffic (less than 5 tonnes) in August 2008. Following the completion of restoration works, the bridge was fully reopened for public use on Friday 24 June 2011. The works took two years and involved removal of the old bridge deck and barrier railings as well as installation of new cross girders and sway braces to the permanent trusses.Lambrigg is an historical property near Tharwawhere William Farrer conducted his work on genetic selection for his wheat varieties.The De Salis Cemetery is a 19th century pastoral station cemetery on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. It was established by Count Leopold Fabius Dietegen Fane De Salis when his family moved to nearby Cuppacumbalong. The cemetery has a raised circular stone wall to reduce the risk of river flooding, and the site was repaired after 2012. The 19 recorded burials between 1876 and 1903 are marked by four headstones and the De Salis granite obelisk, which is placed inside another stone circular wall.
Things to do
[See more][See less]
Population: 1 - 100
Time zone: UTC +11:00
Area: 3.972 km2
Elevation: 501 to 1000 metres
Town elevation: 595 m
Population number: 81
Local Government Area: Unincorporated ACT